Smokey Vegetable Quiche
*makes (1) 9 inch and (1) 8 inch quiche
- 1 package Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- 3 pieces of smoked bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 8 oz fresh spinach, washed
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 can of artichokes, (not in oil)-drained and chopped
- 8 oz light sour cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder (in the spices' aisle)
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz of Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
*You can omit the bacon if you want to make this dish vegetarian. Simply use a tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil to saute the vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unroll pie crust and place in a 9 inch pie plate. Press edges and prick bottom of crust with a fork.
- Place crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Don't expect it to be brown.
- Place bacon in a skillet and cook over medium heat until done. Be careful not to burn.
- Put cooked bacon on paper towels. Keep the bacon grease in skillet to cook onions, red peppers, and spinach.
- Add chopped onions and peppers. Continue cooking until done.
- Add spinach and cook until it is wilted and all liquid is cooked down.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, sour cream, chipotle pepper powder, and baking powder. Don't use a hand mixer for this.
- Add Swiss cheese to mixture.
- Fold in spinach, onions, and red peppers.
- Add tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- I use one piece of crumbled bacon. Add all 3 pieces if you want.
- Pour egg and vegetable mixture into pie crust.
- Don't overfill. **This recipe makes enough for one 9 inch and one 8 inch quiche.
- You can also prepare these crustless in ramekins sprayed with cooking spray.
- Carefully place in preheated over and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Remove quiche from oven, and place strips of aluminum foil around edges of pie crust to prevent over-browning.
- Return quiche back to oven and bake for about another 20-30 minutes or until the center is set. (If it wiggles, it's not done.