**Disclaimer: This is not a "healthy, frolic in the low-fat meadows" recipe. In fact, it's an indulgent, "I want to impress somebody" recipe. There's very few ingredients in this, but there's oh, so much flavor.
I serve it as pictured for guests, but for us, I just mix the pasta and sauce into one pot. It's not pretty, but the pasta takes on the cream flavor and I think it's better all mixed together.
You could make this without the chicken for a vegetarian version. It's just as good!
Penne Pasta With Chicken in Sun-Dried Tomato Cream
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10 oz. jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1.5 cups of white wine
- 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb of penne pasta
- Approximately 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shaved or shredded)
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Using a fine mesh colander, drain sun-dried tomatoes, reserving oil.
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes on a paper towel, and roll up to remove excess oil. Leave wrapped.
- Salt and pepper chicken.
- Measure out 1.5 tablespoons of the reserved sun-dried tomato oil. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to skillet.
- While chicken is cooking, add sun-dried tomatoes to small food processor.
- Pulse until finely minced. You can also do this by hand if you don't have a processor.
- Continue cooking chicken until done. There may still be liquid left in the pan. No biggie.
- Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn or overbrown garlic.
- Add white wine, minced sun-dried tomatoes, heavy cream, and half and half to chicken.
- BTW, I used a wonderful local wine.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While chicken and sauce are simmering, cook penne according to directions. Drain and put aside.
- When sauce has reduced, you'll notice it takes on a rich, creamy red color.
- Stir in a handful of Parmesan cheese.