This is one of my family’s favorite soup recipes. If you omit the tortillas in the soup base, it freezes extremely well. Just cook the cilantro and garlic and add the tortillas when you thaw and reheat.
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly quartered (about 12 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 5 corn tortillas, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans of tomato puree
- 2 (32 oz.) boxes of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans of black beans, drained
Crunchy Tortilla Strips-
- About 5 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Chili powder & ground cumin for seasoning
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put tortilla strips into a medium bowl. Spray lightly with cooking spray, then sprinkle desired amount of chili powder and cumin. Toss, then lay on a nonstick baking sheet. Place in oven for about 10 minutes, then using a spatula, flip over. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes or so, or until desired crunchiness. Remove from oven and place on a plate with paper towels.
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil
In a skillet, heat a few tablespoons of cooking oil over medium to medium-high heat. Once heated, add chicken strips and cook until thoroughly done.
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed (if desired)
Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Add quartered onion pieces to your food processor. Process until smooth. Measure out 1 cup onion puree, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Cook 5 chopped corn tortillas, garlic, and cilantro in hot oil until tortillas are soft.
- Add onion puree, tomato puree, and rest of soup base ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Spoon soup into bowls; add chicken strips, avocado, cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Top with tortilla strips.