Saturday, August 22, 2009

You Say Tomay-to, I Say Tomah-to


I bought some wonderful local heirloom tomatoes last week, and decided to make a tomato tart recipe that I have made in a few years. I have made up my own recipe based on some of the recipes I'd previously seen. My measurements may not be exact, but seriously, you can't mess up this. There's lots of other things you could add to this recipe to jazz it up.

Dishy Decorator's Tomato Tart

Ingredients:

(1) Pillsbury Brand refrigerated pie crust
(1) tablespoon olive oil
(1) clove fresh garlic, finely minced
(3-5)-depending on size --fresh, ripe tomatoes
(2.5) cups shredded mozzarella cheese
(3/4) cup shredded Parmesan cheese
(2) tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
(1/4-1/2) teaspoon salt
(1/4) teaspoon freshly ground pepper
(1/2) teaspoon granulated sugar

Directions

~Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

~While oven is preheating, slice tomatoes and put on paper towels. You'll need to change paper towels several times. Getting the moisture out of the tomatoes will prevent the crust from getting soggy.

~Roll out 1 of the pie crusts from the Pillsbury package and place into a pie or tart pan. I used a 10 inch glass pie pan.

~Poke holes in bottom of crust. Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on pie crust. Evenly spread clove of garlic on top of olive oil.



~I usually use pie weights for prebaking pie shells, but not for this one. I just pop this in the oven for about 10 minutes.

~Take partially baked pie crust out of oven.

~Sprinkle all of mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in pie crust.

~Arrange tomatoes on top of cheese. I work from the outside in. On this recipe, I alternated the yellow and red tomatoes.

~Sprinkle tomatoes with salt, pepper and sugar.

~Put the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on tomatoes.

~Bake 15 minutes and check edges of pie crust. If they seem to be getting too brown, cover just the edges with foil. Continue baking another 10 minutes or less until cheese is melted and pie crust is a golden brown.

~Take tomato tart out of oven and before serving, add chopped fresh basil on top.


This is great for brunches or served with a green salad on the side. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment