I have a major sweet tooth, but at breakfast, I have an odd affinity to heartier, more protein-rich foods. I always get Panera’s “Power Breakfast Sandwich”. It’s super yummy and is high in protein and fiber.
Photo: Panera’s Website
Not only does getting breakfast out every morning take too much time, it gets extremely expensive. So I thought I’d try to recreate this yummy sandwich at home.
Dishy Decorator’s Breakfast Sandwich
- Panera’s Whole Grain Miche bread (sandwich sliced)-I buy a whole loaf and freeze it.
- 1 egg and 1 egg white (You can substitute Egg Beaters or use all whites)
- Smoked ham (several slices-I use double smoked ham from the deli)
- Vermont white cheddar cheese slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic & cayenne sauce or Tabasco (2-3 drops or more if desired)
- Cooking spray
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper and hot sauce.
- You can cook the eggs in a skillet coated with nonstick spray over medium heat, or use one of the microwave egg poachers.
*This is enough eggs for 2 sandwiches.
- Cut one slice of bread in half.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread to skillet to toast lightly.
- When brown, remove and put on plate.
- Heat ham in same skillet for a minute or so.
- Put ham on one piece of bread and cheddar cheese on the other piece. Return to skillet. Turn heat down to medium low. Heat for about 2 minutes.