Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Evil Tuna

Hey, did you hear about the evil tuna? Rumor has it he was rotten to the “albacore”. Knee-slap, snort, hardy, har, har.

Tuna Salad

Ingredients:

  • (2) 12 oz. cans of albacore tuna in water, (drained thoroughly)
  • 3/4 cup peeled, finely chopped apple      *I use red delicious or golden delicious
  • 3 boiled eggs, peeled
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
  • 3/4 – 1cup of mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon pickle juice
  • 4 tablespoons of chopped dill pickle (or sweet relish if you prefer)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  • Open and thoroughly drain (2) 12 oz. cans of tuna.
  • Pour into a medium to large mixing bowl.

image

  • Add chopped apple.

image

  • Remove yolks, and finely chop egg whites. Add to tuna.

image

  • Add chopped onion.

image

  • Add pickle juice (this is my little secret for potato salad too)
  • Add chopped pickle.
  • Lightly stir tuna and all added ingredients. 

 

  • Fold in 3/4 cup mayo. Add another 1/4 cup if you feel it needs more. I almost always use 1 cup and don’t feel like it’s too heavy.

image

(Tennessee girls know that JFG mayonnaise it the bomb!)

I love it so much that I bribe family members to bring it when the come to visit.

  • Add salt and pepper to taste. 

image

Chill at least an hour. 

Serve on a bed of butter lettuce with tomatoes, or make a yummy sandwich.  I like to eat tuna salad sandwiches made with Earth Grains “Wheat Berry with Honey” bread.   ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. I don't eat tuna since I am a vegetarian. I do have an unhealthy obsession with mayo though. I seriously put it on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is basically my recipe, as well. I add a tablespoon or less of mustard and use sweet pickles. I don't make a sandwich, however. I'll eat at least half a roll of Ritz crackers with mine. Mmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete