Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Let's Talk About Skincare, Part 2- The Extras

Sorry for the delay in getting this second post up. It's been a challenging week, but I'm back and ready to talk about skincare!

This is Part 2-"The Extras". I'll be talking about the "extras" I use to treat problem areas and breakouts. I'll also tell you about the "big gun" products and treatments that I have tried.

The Extras

  • Bio-Oil: I've been using this for about 4 years now. I dab this on dry spots or post breakout marks. I have some on my night stand for my hands and cuticles. Love this stuff! It's also good for stretch marks and for pregnant tummies.

  Bio-Oil Scar Treatment, 2 fl oz
  • Boscia Luminizing Black Mask- I use this mask once or twice a week on my face, neck, and chest. Like many other reviewers have said, "It's like a big Biore strip for your face."  Be careful and don't get this on your eyebrows or too close to your hairline. If you do, then you can easily have a hair removal session. "Kelly Clarkson!!!"
Boscia Luminizing Black Mask
  • Ole Henriksen "Truth is in the Eyes" Eye Peel- Yes, you read that right, "eye peel". This is a mild eye treatment with glycolic and lactic acid. I've read many times that no amount of moisture will improve dark circles and deeper lines around the eyes. Supposedly, you have to thicken the collagen to reduce the appearance of dark circles and lines. Retinoids and acids are proven to thicken collagen if used consistently. 
Close this window
I use this in the morning and night. The directions say to use it at night, but I do both.

  • Hydrocortisone and Bandaids- I use these for unexpected breakouts. You know those big, honkin' chin pimples? My former dermatologist told me about doing this. I have gone in before to have a cystic pimple injected with hydrocortisone. It hurts like a mother trucker. Sore pimple and a needle jammed in it.....good times I'm telling ya. But it really is a miracle worker when it comes to big event/monster pimple combo we all have had. Here's what you do at bedtime: wash your face with a mild cleanser, pat dry, and squirt a pea-sized amount of hydrocortisone cream onto your finger. Apply to the breakout and cover with a bandaid. Leave on all night. It really does help reduce the swelling and redness. 
  • Neosporin and Bandaid- If you're a skin picker, I recommend using this after you've done your damage. Use it the same as the hydrocortisone/bandaid combo. Neosporin will kill the bacteria on the surface of the open pimple. 
  • Visine eye drops- Good old Visine. It's not just for your eyes. Get the basic formula, not the allergy AC or whatever it's called.  Put a few drops on a cotton swab and hold on a pimple for 30 seconds to a minute. It helps reduce swelling and redness.
  • Peter Thomas Roth "Unwrinkle Peel Pads"- I use these a few times a week at night before applying Retin-A. WARNING: Don't do this if you have not consistently used acids and retinoids. I've used strong products for 20 years. My skin is very accustomed to these type products.  Oftentimes, before a laser treatment or peel, estheticians and/or plastic surgeons will have you "prep" your skin with retinoids or acids. An esthetician told me that she preps her skin with a mild acid before using her nightly Retin-A. She said it improves the efficacy of Retin-A by sloughing off old skin cells and provides an even surface for the retinoid to work. 
Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads
You wash your face, wipe your face and neck with the pad, leave on a few minutes, and rinse. I pat my face dry, then brush my teeth, etc. before applying Retin-A Micro. 


Stay tuned for Part 3- "The Quirky". You get to find out about how I wear some SEXXAH Scar Sheets on my face to bed. HA!

    7 comments:

    1. I sometimes get those cystic pimples on my chin. I've tried the pink (drying) and white ("buffering" I think) Mario Badescu lotions but they don't really seem to work at all for me. I've never tried the hydrocortisone trick before. I will be trying that next time. Thank you for these posts!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Okay, dumb question, but is the hydrocortisone cream something you get a prescription for or do you buy it over the counter?

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love bio-oil! It makes my legs feel so much softer than lotion! Been using bio-oil for a couple of years.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Heather--that's not a dumb question;-) I get 1% hydrocortisone cream & it's over the counter.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I ordered the scar sheets today from target.com! Whoot! Just ordered the bio oil from amazon. Can't wait to try it! Thank you for the great tips!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi there. Did I miss skincare: part 3 and following? I think you have great suggestions.

      ReplyDelete