Thursday, October 6, 2011

Shortcut Southern Green Beans

When I was growing up, we would get fresh green beans from the farmers at the local courthouse square or from my grandparents' garden. My mom, grandmother (Nanny), and I spent lots of evenings outside in old Adirondack chairs, "breakin' and stringin' beans" and swatting off mosquitoes. To prepare, my mom would fry up minced onion and a piece of bacon in the pot, then add the green beans and water. Talking about some good green beans! Everything's better with bacon right?

I don't always have time to go through the whole stringin' and breakin' process, so through the years, I've found a pretty close substitute with canned green beans. YES. Canned whole green beans. You have to use whole. Don't get the cut green beans. Or the French-cut kind. Yuck. Those are for the soupy green bean casseroles.




Shortcut Southern Green Beans

Ingredients:
2 cans of Del Monte FreshCut Whole Green Beans (1 can drained)
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
1 piece of smoked bacon, cut into 4 pieces
Salt to taste

Directions:

In a medium pot, over medium-low heat, add bacon pieces and saute for a few minutes. They don't have to be totally done. Be careful so it doesn't burn. Flip bacon pieces and add onion. Saute until onion is translucent. 

Add both cans of green beans. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until bubbling slightly. You can remove the bacon or leave it in to serve. Salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. :) My Nana's oldest sister would do exactly this for family get togethers! She'd always tell me "You hush up now and don't say a word. They won't know if you don't tell 'em."

    ReplyDelete