A while back, I posted a Mediterranean Omelet recipe that had fresh spinach, tomatoes, and feta cheese. I love to combine spinach and tomatoes and make different dishes. Today I made a sandwich but roasted the tomatoes and left the spinach uncooked.
- Sweet cherry tomatoes, rinsed and sliced in half and drained on a paper towel
- Fresh organic spinach-about 1/2 cup rinsed and drained on a paper towel
- About 1 tablespoon-Fresh basil, chopped
- Shaved Parmesan cheese or cheese of your choice
- Prepared Pesto from a jar
- Fresh local whole grain bread
- Good quality olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
*Optional- Scrambled egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you have a "roast" setting, use it to roast the tomatoes.
- Place sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Cook about 2-3 minutes, then flip the tomatoes on the other side. Cook for a few more minutes. Be careful, these will burn quickly.
- Layer spinach and tomatoes on one-half of your sandwich.
- Add chopped basil and shaved Parmesan. Spread pesto on other slice.
- You can also add scrambled egg whites to make a breakfast sandwich or just to add more protein.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.