Friday, August 21, 2009

5 For Friday

I've decided to make the "5 For Friday" a regular post. You were losing some sleep over this, weren't you? he he. Usually by Friday, I'm not in the mood to blog, so hopefully I can come up with different topics of interest. It may be 5 favorites or 5 least favorites, or even my 5 favorite candy bars. We'll just see where it goes.....

5 Biggest Design Mistakes People Make
Note: This is only my opinion and not the Gospel, so no hate mail please......

Using fake ivy anywhere, but especially on bookshelves. I had a wonderful, experienced (ahem, 75 year old) designer tell me, "Ivy doesn't grow on bookshelves." If you look at design magazines, you'll notice you're not going to see silk, fake plants in the fabulously designed rooms. It's just not natural. They're dust catchers, and look cheap.

Speaking of fake plants and ivy.....please for the love of God, get that ivy, fake grapes, baskets and tipped over wine bottles off the top of your kitchen cabinets. I'm all about merchandising, but let's take down the Italian picnic. Again, another dirt and grime catcher.

Buying a whole matching bedroom, living room, or dining room set. A room looks so much more interesting when everything isn't so matchy-matchy. If you happen to have a whole 'set' of something, break it up put a piece in another room. Don't be afraid to mix things up. See how boring this room is.... matching sofa and loveseat, matching tables, matching pictures, matching lamps, and that dreadful silk tree. Symmetry is good, but too much is B-O-R-I-N-G!

Displaying too many pictures. I may be stepping into dangerous territory with this one;-) I have kids, so I love me some pictures. But I've been to houses where family portraits are on every wall, on every table....and the most atrocious---on the dining room walls. I'm not sure how the Southern tradition of having a picture of the mother and newborn in matching white gowns came about, but it has no place in the dining room. I'm just sayin..... I was taught in design school, that personal portraits belong in personal spaces (i.e. the bedrooms, family room, and hallways to the bedrooms). I think a middle ground is good. A grouping of beautiful framed portraits on a chest or on a wall is tasteful, just not on every table and every wall. Here's a great example of a happy medium. Fiona Newell Weeks, designer

Having too many little tschotkes in one place.

Don't be afraid to edit your room accessories. Your design will make more of a statement with one big piece or a collection of similar pieces. When a collection is scattered all around the room, it loses it's impact. For example, if you have a collection of plates or platters, display them together on a shelf or hang them together on a wall. Designer: Jackye Lanham

So what are your biggest design pet peeves???

2 comments: